Sunday, January 29, 2012

Around the Way Post

First of all, pat with an updated background, after having the UM one up.  The way this one posts on the site, it is still almost all UM.  Pickelman and whoever the UM guy are look like they are hugging, so that's nice. 

I want to touch on a few things here,  first and foremost, MSU picked up two recruits.  Also, MSU plays Illinois on Tuesday - I will try to break that down as best as I can Monday night.  Lastly I want to touch on the new season ticket plan.  You can imagine I am not happy about a price increase. 

Mark Meyers, whom I will likely refer to mainly as Mike Meyers is a safety out of Toledo, OH. Listed at 6 foot 180 pounds Mike, errrr Mark, has good size already (with departing safety, Trenton Robinson being listed at 5-11 195.)  Rivals has him listed as a *** with no postional rankings.  Scout ranks him as a *** and 94th position ranking.  ESPN is certainly the highest on Mark.  ESPN lists Mark as a *** and 27th overall safety.  They also rank him as a 78 overall.  A note for those paying attention our higest rated prospect, Aaron Burbridge, is a 79 overall.  The opening line of his scouting report states that he is flying under the BCS radar.  I guess this is a good thing, and it makes sense considering the rest of his offers are from MAC schools.  ESPN states that Mark is strong in zone coverage and has high ball skills.  I would assume that with strong zone coverage it means you can close quickly and recognize where the ball is going once it is in the air.  Which is why ESPN states that, "he can cover the field and make plays while remaining assignment sound as the last defender." I hope that this analysis is correct, and we found another diamond in the rough.

MSU's other recent commit is David Fennell out of Portland, OR.  HELLO NATIONAL RECRUITING PROMINENCE.  As far as I can tell, there is little to know recruiting news on David other than what ESPN lists.  Scout is a ** Not Rated. While Rivals is basically a complete blank.  Again, ESPN comes through in the clutch.  ESPN has him at *** 75 overall along with 107th at position and 6th in state.  (I am surprised there isn't more football talent in Oregon.) Listed everywhere at basically the same size 6-3 275, David will need to add weight to play on the inside D Line where is the projected to play at. ESPN likes his descriptiveness and pursuit.  He is stated to have strong hands and ability to use them to rip past blockers and grab the ball carrier.  Again ESPN uses the sleeper to a BCS level college team when describing David.  It is hard to get a good grasp on him when no other service has anything listed.

Keeping with the recruiting theme here is a an article from the Detroit News about where some of the remaining top rated prospects will land.   What do I think about some of these you ask?  Well, let me tell you.  Demetrious Cox is someone I have though would go green for a long time.  Though I would not be surprised if he goes to Penn State.  Absolutely no way he goes to OSU.  Jordan Diamond, Pat has been saying will go blue for about 7 months now.  Kyle Dodson is interesting.  He is a soft verbal to Wisconsin, still taking visits, was recently at an MSU bball game where the Izzone chanted his name.  OSU seems logical, but MSU could sneak in, I think he goes away from Wisconsin.  Monty Madaris is another 4 star WR and I have been saying that he would go green for about 7 months now.  The transfer of DeAnthony Arnett makes things more interesting.   I have heard that he Madaris would play safety and is open to that.  I am still going to say that he goes green but with Arnett and Burbridge in there, I would not be surprised if he goes to Cincy.  Jamichael Winston is a DE prospect out of Alabama.  He was just on a visit to MSU (couldn't pick a better weekend?)  His two largest offers are from Arkansas and MSU.  Though he is a consensus *** this has the feeling of a big get.  Arkansas isn't a small time program. 

So.  MSU season ticket holders, were going to see a fee increase. Right here you will find a breakdown of the prices and which section this effects.  Thank god I only have $25 dollars per seat.  This is why you sit close to those rowdy students.  The same seats on the opposite end are $100 per seat.  Along with this fee "spartan fund donation" all seats will be at a base price of $308, which is fine.   I like the idea of a new scoreboard, but at the same time, the great thing about MSU games is the blue collar fan base.  I don't think that even Pat can say that UM has a real rowdy crowd at UM games outside of the student section -- a lot of gray hair and "SIT DOWN I CANT SEE".  This was what was nice about MSU.  we sucked and tickets were fairly affordable at a season ticket rate.  Basically what I find most offensive is that they are claiming sustained success with back to back double digit win seasons as the back argument.  Yea, that is fine but the year before we wen 6-7 (4-4)  and lost to Texas Tech in the Alamo Bowl.  Yes, that was your 2009/2010 Spartan Football team.  TALK ABOUT SUCCESS.  Let me know when we make the Rose Bowl and when Mark Hollis removes the ivory Spartan spear from his ass.  No one is fooled.  And the sustained success aspect is insulting as a fan.  just say hey we need the money.  I think that would be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment