Monday, January 16, 2012

I Don't Like Anything About Michigan

Hard to have a hate week in basketball.  Unless we played back to back games.   That would actually be pretty neat.  Get on that Hollis.  So here we are.  MSU v. UM tomorrow at Crisler Arena tipping off at around 6:00 p.m.  on ESPN.  This looks to be a good game with MSU ranked 9th and UM ranked 20th based on AP polling.  This of course is the game that both teams want to win more than any other.  Maybe Pat can speak more to this, but with OSU being your biggest rival, so UM fans say, does this game matter all that much?  Are UM fans excited to watch this or do they get all geeked when OSU comes into town?  Is this a football v. basketball school argument?  Sorry for having two successful programs.  However, I am not sorry for having the best football/basketball duo in the country. More proof needed?  I like to keep my trash talking at moderately high levels.  So what are some motivating factors in this game?  Well, we lost twice last year.  That has to be point one.  But that is fine.  See, UM is our little brother. And like Izzo Says, "It irks me if we win a lot (against Michigan) and lose one and people say the tide is changing."  Sure, MSU rode the struggle bus to start Izzo's career at MSU, but theres reasons for that, more from this article -----Izzo wants the tide to stay right where it has been, in most years, since 1997. The Spartans began dominating the series in the second meeting of the 1997-98 season, and went on to win 18 of 21 games against the Wolverines. The Spartans were blown out by Michigan in Izzo's first five games against the Wolverines as head coach. Michigan was stacked with talent in that era, thanks in part to recruiting and benefits packages that eventually led to severe NCAA penalties for the Wolverines.-----  Timeout!  Let's just stop there and move into to what it will take to win/what to look for.

I have been reading up on this since I think Pomeroy stats are for people that cannot play basketball.  Two prominant UM and MSU blogs use them to justify nearly everything and a lot gets missed.  Like the in game battles.  Which is point #1.

1: Point guard play.  Trey Burke and Keith Appling.  This matchup looms large in  my head.  Burke's ability to distribute the ball to the post or to the slashing wings seems to be a predictor of UM success.  How can Keith bottle him up?  The dude is good.  But then again so is Appling. Keith has been averaging nearly 18 points per game over his last six games.  But  more importantly.  Keith has been dishing the ball, hitting the 7+ assist mark five times this year - including wins over  Indiana and Gonzaga.  If appling has a game that looks like 17-4-7-3-1 we should win the game handily.  That is a gaudy stat line. In my mind, the winning teams point guard will have a line some thing like that. 

How about Draymond?

2:  Draymond has been mostly terrible in games against UM.  Averaging 6 points and under 4 boards. We need more out of him for this game.  But do we need more scoring of him?  My gut reaction is no with Payne/Nix, Wood and Appling more than apt at scoring.  What we do need?  Some rebounds.  A 10 rebound night could lock this game up, and a 3 rebound night could lose it for us.  Along with that, Green needs to play some good D on Smotrycz.  We can't let him get hot from outside or get any looks inside.  Depending on the lineup, Green could also be checking Morgan.  I am not sure what to make of that matchup, heads could explode.  I like it for each team, offensively.

I almost forget, we just lost.

3:  MSU just lost a game to Northwestern in which no defense was played.  This was the first loss for MSU since mid November.   Normally, UM runs a similar defense to Northwestern, the 1-3-1.  Though that has been happening less this year - more man.  I don't think UM will play much in this game. MSU was able to score on Northwestern and UM has legit big men this year.  So how will MSU handle the loss? I think they got over the loss quickly, NU is no slouch, and winning on the road in the B1G is tough.  MSU wants this game.  Draymond wants this game.  Gotta get it back for the two  losses last year.

So what's the score?  I cant really tell if a high scoring game is better or worse for MSU with the ability of the UM shooters, remember Novak's 6 triples last year???? I DO.  But I do think MSU has the better team and I am not gonna pick against them even if UM was better.  We'll call this one 75-66 MSU.  

"But I don't like anything about Michigan and they don't like anything about us. That's just the way it is and the way it should be."


"If you are asking me do I respect John Beilein? Tremendously," Izzo added. "Do I respect Michigan? Tremendously. Do I like them? Not one bit."

Thanks for the free article www.spartanmag.com, all stuff is a tremendous read on this site.


2 comments:

  1. Good writeup.

    I liked Izzo's comments, that's the way the rivalry should be from the coaches and players standpoint. I respect Izzo a lot more than I respect Dantonio.

    I'm not sure what to make of Michigan's basketball team this season. While Trey Burke is really good, his lack of height prevents him from running the pick and roll as effectively as Darius Morris which has really limited the number of easy baskets for Michigan big men this season.

    It's not really fair to any opponent, but I think the way Michigan's team is constructed they are going to win games if they shoot the ball well. They've been inconsistent from deep this year and that has plagued them in some ugly offensive performances. Watch to see if Hardaway makes close to 50% of his 3's, if he doesn't I don't think Michigan will win the game.

    I expect a high scoring game. MSU seems to dictate tempo a lot more than Michigan. Michigan is going to take what they can get and if this is a transition game they are going to pull a lot of quick 3's.

    I'm excited for this game but nervous about this part of Michigan's schedule. The next five games are very daunting and they could easily go 2-4 on this stretch. Winning at home is a necessity.

    On your question about the rivalry...after the basketball program was left in a corner for over a decade, football has been everything at Michigan. Now that the program is being resurrected under JB and the infrastructure and facilities are being upgraded to compete at a high level, I think this rivalry should be fun and competitive into the foreseeable future. In basketball, this game matters more than the OSU game.

    ReplyDelete