Friday, October 12, 2012

MSU vs. Iowa re: Abortion or not?

So here we are, the halfway point.  MSU has gone 4-2 (1-1) up to this point. I think that finishing the second half at 4-2 would equal a satisfactory season.  Especially if one of those 4s was over UM. But up next?  MSU has their old? nemesis.  One of the best games I have ever been to at Spartan Stadium was 2009 against Iowa.  That was the first college football game I took my dad to. I am not sure he knew what to expect.   It was a night game and a sold out crowd of 75,000.  We entered Spartan Stadium a bit early to see the band and the team enter.  About 2 minutes in he yelled that there was so much energy, I responded with "WHAT?!?".  That was a fun/loud game.

OFFENSE:  Burbridge had a coming out party last week to the tune of 134 yards.  Burbridge very well could be the saviour of this passing offense, this week could establish that.  However, the Iowa defense has been coming along lately and they seem to have a team that was built to stop our offense.  Up front, they can take the blows of a big back like Bell.  So what should we look for?  Well I think the MSU team is going to look to establish the run as they always do.  Off of that they will run some juke plays off of a run formation.  This offense has been so predictable it is necessary to run some flea flickers, half back option passes, double fakes.  Anything to create a little wrinkle, but not too much because we want this next week: 

DEFENSE:  They need to continue what they have been doing. Williamson showed a lot of speed as a safety and could be the guy from here on out.  Anything that helps the corners over top.  On too many pass plays this year, a safety has blown a read and left the corners way too isolated.  That wont happen this week.  Another change has been Taiwan Jones over Chris Norman.  Norman, right now is more of a bruising presence.  In past years he has shown more speed, as I wrote about in our position breakdowns.  Now Jones is stepping up and showing that speed.  This position will depend on the team.  I expect Norman to get more PT against the big RB that Iowa has.   Right now Gholston needs to flip a switch and I fully expect that.  Look for two sacks from Gholston and a hand-full of plays in the backfield. 

On the whole, this is a game MSU has to win or it could be a season we need to abort.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Sometimes you make mistakes and you need to correct those.  I hope that all the flaws MSU has shown they are learning from.  They certainly showed some fire in the second half against Indiana.  There cannot be any player expecting to roll from here on out.  Personally, I feel fairly optimistic about this game and that is mostly due to Brubridge.  I am a huge wide reciever fan and believe they dictate a game more than any other skill position.  He could be our guy.  If he is, we win.  Look for a Burbridge touchdown in the rain along with a lot of power from Bell.  Call it 24-14 MSU.  

(you're welcome Pat for the title)

1 comment:

  1. Ha how are you putting that on me? I do not approve.

    I think Iowa is sort of bad so I think your prediction is spot on.

    Michigan should handle Illinois easily though this is an ultimate let down spot.

    ReplyDelete