Monday, October 29, 2012

Reduce Reuse Recycle Recap

Finally a win.  A win that MSU closed out.  That was nice to see.  I thought the MSU offense played well enough.  Obviously, it was not a great offensive show, but they were able to move the ball at times before ultimately doing something boneheaded.  Joe Rexode touches on that with his Monday Mail Bag.

 -I watched a good portion of the PSU/OSU game.  PSU played a solid game, but seemed to abandon the run game.  I think that ultimately did them in.  Not sure if Belton was injured or what.  Braxton was impressive in tearing apart a very good PSU defense.  That just might show how good the MSU defense actually is more than any other stat.

-From there, it was time to watch the um/Nebraska game.  I got to tell Pat about Denard's injury over the phone, that was about the most gratifying thing I have got to do this football season. Without Robinson, um was punchless.  The game wasn't really interesting outside of a few drives and seeing what um could do without Denard.  um fans will be pleased to know that Robinson will be the starter this weekend.

-To close out the game, Maxwell made one great pass after another and Bell was able to bounce around for 4-6 yard gains.  I think that our receivers may have finally turned a corner.  There was no Burbridge in this game, but that's OK.  Fowler is the man, and he showed it at times in this game.  Also, Lippet showed why I have been so high on him, from his sky high grab to his juke to the one yard line.  Personally, I really enjoyed seeing Thomas get some open field to run in.  A fumble certainly wasn't pleasant, but man, I would not want to tackle him.  The defense was really stout in this game as well.  MSU was able to hold Wisconsin to 19 yards rushing (net) and 190 yards total.  Gholston finally had a game that MSU has needed all year with 4.5 tackles for loss and a sack.  Along with that, one hit knocked Wisconsin quarterback Joel Stave out of for the season with a broken clavicle.

This play below, I remember seeing and screaming at the T.V.  It did not get called.

http://uspresswire.com/image/thumb/600-600/6694946.jpg
(mary langenfeld, uspresswire. via twitter of chris vannini)

I still don't think that the Wisconsin defense is that great.  One play in particular stuck out in my head on a pass deflection to a mostly wide open Bell.  Other than that, I think MSU mostly killed their own drives.  Don't get me wrong, they are a good defense, but the B1G features a handful of better defense's.

Next week MSU has Nebraska at home.  A game I will be at.  Maybe I can get some pictures from the game and any sort of EL related activities I do on here.  Sound good?


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. yea, how bad are UM fans rooting for us?

      ESPN B1G Blog predicted Nebraska to win out though, at least one half of the writers did.

      Delete
    2. MSU has lost 3 home games this season but they hadn't lost a home game for a long time before this year. I'm banking on that. Huge Spartan fan this weekend. Of course, Michigan needs to take care of business which means they need Denard's elbow and nerve issue to resolve itself or this is all a moot point.

      Delete
  2. As a former 13 year Wisconsin football and basketball season ticket holder and MSU graduate, this is easily my favorite game to watch every year. Especially in recent years with each game coming down to the wire or featuring a major upset (I still smile when thinking about Peko running down the sideline when top 5 ranked UW was blown out in EL.) My loyalty has shifted to the green and white and I've lost many a facebook friend to this fact, but it's been worth it. Screw UW's Rose Bowl appearances. We've had their number recently and they know it. This win was particularly satisfying because we went up to Madison, an extremely difficult place to win, came from behind in the 4th quarter, dialed the D up to 11, forced OT, and snapped their 21 home game win streak.

    Here is what some of the Wisconsin faithful had to say about Bucky vs. Sparty...

    "Wisconsin should give O'Brien a scholarship to another school."

    "100% Bilma's Fault. 1:00. Left with 3 time outs & u can't get in field goal range. Unbelievable! With all the shit this season and all the shit he's done off the field in his career herem I would hope the alumni association would be done with his crap. Unbelievable the way he can't manage the clock in tight games."

    "At least we still have the Bucks, guys."

    Not much else as the usual reaction to a gut wrenching loss is to shut down, assume the fetal position, and sequester yourself to silence and solitude. (Trust me I know, I went to MSU).

    ReplyDelete
  3. With preseason starting tonight you guys going to put up some hoops content?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there will be. back court. front court and bench break downs. I will also be watching the MSU exhibition game later today and commenting on that.

      Delete