Monday, September 19, 2011

Uhhh Worst Nightmare

Well I guess this is obvious, but my three things were three things we needed and didnt get.  To start, we didnt control the crowd.  Notre Dame scored on their first possession and we did little to quiet them after that.  Our offensive line looked every bit the worry that every blogger wrote about before the season started.  After this game, I am very worried about the rest of the season.  Our defensive line looked good.  I wish we got more contact on the quarterback.  Gholston needs to show up the rest of the season.  We need a defensive end.  Worthy a top ten pick?  Mel Kiper smokes crack. 

I am not sure why MSU didnt attack deep more often.  This is something UM did, and it paid off.  On top of that Denard is 1/4th the passer that Kirk is.  This was a HUGE mistake by the coaching staff.  HUGE.  Along those lines, I understand trying to establish the run, but when you have a player that they cannot stop (BJ Cunningham) you give him the ball more - and that means more passing. 

Fake field goal?  I understand going for it.  In face I thought we should go for it.  However, if you are going o go for it, line up the offense.  We needed two yards.  If you cant get two yards with such players as Dion Sims, BJ Cunningham and Edwin Baker, you do not deserve to win.  A fake field goal was obvious.  Just go for it next time, with a full offense. 

We looked like a 7 win team max in that game.  Our offensive line needs to show up even more with the season ending injure to Skylar Burkland.    Michigan is now ranked higher than us in the polls, though no part of me that thinks they are a better team, this happens when you win.  (and when you look like a pizza pizza bowl bound team in your loss)

2-1

2 comments:

  1. I think they should have kicked the FG. I didn't watch much of the game but slipped into a bar and saw the end of the 1st half. The reason I think you kick is that with under a minute remaining, the value gained by a failed conversation is negated. Take the 3 points and head to halftime very much in the ball game. Dantonio got greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coaching staff made some ready bonehead decisions in this one. Fake field goals and trick plays...how about throwing it to BJ Cunningham and running what works....

    ReplyDelete