Monday, October 31, 2011

Who's the Best?

It's a wild year in the Big Ten. Through 9 weeks, a case could be made for no less than six teams each being the best in the Big Ten.  I know that sounds crazy, but let's take a look at each team.

Nebraska is 7-1 and ranked highest of any B1G team in the BCS.  They just dismantled the Spartans 24-3...but they also were obliterated 48-17 by Wisconsin.

So then Wisconsin must be the best team in the B1G...but they have 2 losses the previous two weeks.  Heart breaking for Bucky the Badger but two conference losses this early surely should take Wiscy out of the top slot.

Wisconsin just lost to an Ohio State team that seems to be improving and playing at a very high level defensively, but they have 3 losses.  I'm sure Buckeye fans are stating the case that their team is improving offensively and will be the Big Ten's best by season's end.  They have also won the conference the previous six seasons.  But this year, three losses and huge problems in the passing game hold Ohio State back and makes room for someone else to step up as the Big Ten's best. 

So what about Penn State?  They also sit at 7-1 and their only loss is to the juggernaut that is Alabama.  But then you see that their best win is either against Iowa or Illinois, both home games where they looked uninspiring while pulling out the ugly victory.  Winning is winning, so PSU gets credit, but the meat of their schedule is forthcoming and the eyeball test says that Penn State's offense, mostly due to quarterback play, is quite bad.

Michigan is 7-1 and has looked good in their 7 victories.  Those wins have also come against virtually no one.  The only "good" team they have beaten is Notre Dame in a game that could easily be classified as a fluke.  However, how can Michigan be the best team in the Big Ten if they lost decisively to Michigan State just two weeks ago?

Finally, we've figured it out!  Michigan State is clearly the Big Ten's best....oh wait, they just got manhandled by Nebraska.  And we're back to the imperfect Cornhuskers.

What does this all mean?  It's going to be a fun November.

Here's my ordered breakdown.  I'm not going by resume, more by my own feeling on what I see.

1) Nebraksa
2) Wisconsin
3) Michigan State
4) Michigan
5) Penn State
6) OSU

Let me know where I'm wrong in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. I still like Wisco as 1. Two road night games in a row. C'mon AD, gotta do a better job looking out for your squad. Put them on a neutral field against any Big Ten team and I think they are favored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe. But they've really only played three solid teams all season and have gone 1-2 in that stretch. They have padded their resume crushing vastly inferior teams. Their defense is not very good and their vaunted running game has hit some snags.

    Then again, you make a good point and they may just be the best of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, nice to see ya posting JT. Though it sucks suffering through the background I need some Wolverines backing me up on here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would edit post for the editorial comment. but lets keep the posts flowing! both in the BCS and on your own (ill say my own too) and on OUR own poll. i think penn state should be above Michigan but below Michigan State. my own personal one goes

    1. wisconsin
    2.nebraska
    3.MSU
    3.PSU
    YUP THEY'RE TIED
    5? UM
    6. OSU.

    ok, so that looks wonky. I still think Wisconsin is a top 3 three team in the big ten. both of their losses came on the road, within a touchdown and within a minute to go in the game. if anything that screams equal competition to me. but like JT said, nice scheduling job; the AD must have been drunk on power. Nebraska lost to UW, and beat MSU, so they have to be above us, and are probably equal with Wisco, but fuck it, this is my ranking. which brings me to my next point. I have MSU and PSU tied for third. Even though PSU has the better record, I think Wisco is the better team - and to piggy back on that, I think that NU, PSU and MSU are all very similar UGH! It is unfortunate PSU has to play Wisco on the road-that could be the deal breaker. PSU lost by 16 to alabama. Alabama could be national champs this year. So 16 aint so bad considering what Alabama put up against #7 ranked Arkansas.... PSU has a good defense. The offense is mediocre. Redd might be the best running back in the B1G. However, like pat said, the meat of their schedule is yet to come. BYE. vs UN?(northwestern is NU right?) @OSU. and @UW. Obviously those last two games are huge. UN is the protected cross division rival for PSU. After that I go UM. As mentioned above, their best win was in a shoot out against a mediocre ND team (ugh, i cant believe we got thrashed by ND, but notice the background picture...) So that's why UM is there. Finally OSU. I can see OSU sneaking out a win against UM. Could be an interesting game. IMO, right now its either a close OSU win, or UM blows them out. So based on OSU's losses, I have them bringing up the rear. But man, what a huge win against UW that was. Cannot over look them.

    If anything, the top 5 teams are very interchangeable. They can all beat eachother, which is why homefield is so huge in a lot of these games. MSU does not beat UW in Madison. However, if that UN game was in East Lansing, I can see MSU winning. Flop those two game locations, it's a lot different.

    Going to be a tight finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly? I think PSU's going to Indy. I see them going 2-1 over their last 3 games. Mainly because I picked them to win 10 games before the season started and I like to be right. I like them beating Nebraska at home and taking out OSU at the shoe. I think their D can stop Wisky but sadly not enough for the offense to keep up and put enough points on the board.

    And if things dont go as planned, I'm Purdue's biggest fan since they play both OSU and Wisky in the next few weeks. Boiler Up Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are plenty of scenarios that get Penn State to Indy. I'm not sure that means they are the best team in their division though. We'll see I guess.

    ReplyDelete